Monday, November 8, 2010

Make-it Mondays: Studio #4 Kelley's Beading


This particular blog has been enjoyed so much, let's just keep em' coming! This week's studio visit and interview is with Kelley Allen, the creative force behind Kelley's Beading. Kelley makes beautiful lampwork beads. For those of you who don't know, "Lampworking is a type of glasswork that uses a gas fueled torch to melt rods and tubes of clear and colored glass. Once in a molten state, the glass is formed by blowing and shaping with tools and hand movements. It is also known as flameworking or torchworking, as the modern practice no longer uses oil-fueled lamps."(thank you wikipedia!)

Enjoy!


Buenahelena: Where do you work/where is your studio?

Kelley: My lampworking happens under a hood in the shed. I've been experimenting with silver-laden glass that releases fumes when it's reduced and inhaling that would be dangerous. Jewelry design and beading happens in the living room. I like to be surrounded by activity when I create, so a lot of my work is done in the evening when my family is around.

B: What is your medium or product?

K: I make lampworked glass beads and jewelry.

B: What is the biggest challenge about your space and how have you worked through it?

K: Honestly, my biggest challenge has been a lack of good lighting. New York is surprisingly gloomy-- especially in the fall--and working in the evenings, well, forget it. I have a sun lamp I use when choosing glass and bead colors (Blue Max; highly recommend them!) and I just got a tiny portable light I use when working in the evening with seed beads.


B: Describe a typical day at the studio.

K: On the days I get to lampwork (which still don't come often enough), I get coffee, then turn the kiln on to ramp up while I choose which colors/what type of glass I want to work with. I clean each glass rod with rubbing alcohol and pull whatever stringers I think I'll be using. By then the kiln is up to temperature, so I start winding beads and let the day carry me where it will.


B: What do you love the most about being a crafter/artist/etsy seller?

K: I love the independence. Being a crafter/artist/Etsy seller allows me to access many different talents and skills: I can be alone creating art; I can spend a weekend out with the public at a show; I can meet fellow jewelry lovers in a class; I can be a part of a wonderful community of artists/crafts people/business owners on-line and in person; and I can push the necessary paperwork in my pajamas, What more could I want?

Not much! Thank you Kelley for sharing your process with us. You can see more of Kelley's work at her Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/kelleysbeading


1 comment:

  1. Kelley, I love what you love about being an artist/etsy seller! It's so true that we can have the best of so many different worlds! Thanks for giving us a peek into your world!

    Great job Carol!

    ReplyDelete