Monday, January 17, 2011

Make-it Mondays: Studio Visit #7 Sunshyne Silverwear

It's baaaa-aaaack! Another studio visit with one of our newest Rochester NY Etsy Street Team members, Erin Gursslin of Sunshyne Silverware. I was lucky enough to get one of her pieces this Christmas from my boyfriend and I love it! You can visit her Etsy store and website at these addresses: www.sunshynesilverwear.etsy.com and www.sunshynesilverwear.com .....

Buenahelena: Where do you work? Do you have a studio?
SUNSHYNE: This past weekend, my dad and I transformed my boyfriend's 'man cave' (AKA : extra bedroom) into my work studio. Previously, I worked in the living room, but as I needed more space to work, my projects started creeping all over the house and in recent months pretty much took over the living room, kitchen and hall closet. I'm so excited to finally have a studio where everything can be done in one space.


B: What is your medium or product?
S:
I fashion pendants from recycled silverware (mostly spoons) using a wide range of materials for the art. Everything from glitter, wire pressed flowers, paint and buttons, to photos, stamps, paper, altered art and sequins. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to my creativity.


B: What is the biggest challenge about your space and how have you worked through it?
S: I have been working at my craft for about 2 years now, and previous to having my own studio, my house was a constant explosion of works in progress. I was tired of coming home, after a hard days work, to a house in disarray. I finally found the time (and the money) to take a couple of days out and custom build my own workspace. I figured that because I really want my business to grow, this was the obvious next step.


B: Describe a typical day at the studio...
S: A typical day in the studio would consist of getting up about 3 hours before I have to go to work, check and/or update my etsy, email, weather, google analytics, facebook fan page and so on then get any orders packed and ready to ship. After work is when the real fun begins. I usually work on spoons till about midnight while watching TV, or listening to music.

B: What do you love the most about being an artist/crafter/etsy seller?
S: What I love most, is that it is one of the only times i can do what i want, when I want, how I want. It's a feeling of freedom for me. Also, when I'm working on a project, all of the stress of the day melts away, like it never happened. Some people like meditation, I like zoning out on a batch of spoons for a few hours. When work doesn't seem like work, you know you've found the right job.

Thank you Erin for sharing your creative process! If you are a team member who would like a studio profile on the blog, please go to our team forum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment