Monday, June 20, 2011

Make It! Mondays: "Little Letter" Needle Book

This week's Make-It Monday project is brought to you via our resident plush expert, Kira Sinclair, of KiraArts (who enjoys non-plush projects as well!) You can check out the original version of this post on her blog, here. Enjoy!

From Kira:
"I found a tutorial at KellyRachel.com (via Pinterest) for making a "Little Letter Needle Book" (it's a needle book that looks like a little envelope). I've been wanting to make myself a new needle book for awhile. The one I have is functional, but it's pretty plain and not really cute or pretty. (The outside is a "blah" navy-blue vinyl plastic with a piece of grey felt on the inside...I won't even bore you with a picture.)
But here is what I did with it!


This was the perfect project for me to use the sock monkey fabric I got from the thrift store! I was most excited to use the sock monkey fabric for the "stamp".

The back view of the envelope.

Be sure your pinking shears are nice and sharp! (My pinking shears were pretty old and not the best for cutting fabric...so the edges of the "stamp" are a bit wonky. I went out and bought new pinking shears later).

I also used the sock monkey fabric to line the inside...


I used sew-on snaps for the closure, but you could also use velcro or even a button.

This is a great gift idea for anyone who sews! I'm looking forward to making more! You can see one I made for a friend here. I'm having fun coming up with which fabrics to put together and deciding what part of a printed fabric to use for the "stamp"! I'd like to also try making bigger ones. The template the tutorial provides makes a pretty small "letter" (about 3 inches long), but if you wanted a bigger one, you could always open up a regular envelope and use that as a template. I want to experiment with making a bigger one that I can tuck a small pair of scissors into, or even make one for crochet hooks. If one was so inclined, you could make a BIG envelope for your knitting needles!

I look forward to seeing what other people come up with! Happy sewing!


4 comments:

  1. So cute! Thanks Kira :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Love the use of the sock monkey as the stamp. Would also make a great pencil and paintbrush holder. Or this would be cute for passing notes/love letters. Or for a tooth fairy collection (meaning the little kid could put their lost tooth in it, then the tooth fairy could put the money in it). Oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is by far the cutest thing I've seen in awhile! Very creative.. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just too cute! I can imagine making several in different sizes (for different tools like Heather suggested), attaching ribbons, and hanging them around my work station in the studio. What fun and functional decor!

    ReplyDelete