Mardi Gras falls on February 16. Since I don't have the money to go this year, I have decided to keep this NOLA tradition in my Yankee heart by putting up a Mardi Gras tree. So whip up some Zataran's and join me!
1. Keep your Christmas Tree! Small, colorful, fake ones are the best.
2. String on tons of Mardi Gras beads. Don't have them? Most craft store carry a variety of colors.
3. Add some throws. Throws are items that are thrown from floats during Mardi Gras parades. If you don't have real ones, consider plastic coins, masks, plastic cups, and toy whips and spears.
4. Keep some Mardi Gras gifts under the tree. I'm displaying a highly coveted Muse shoe and a memory case I have made from my trips to New Orleans for Mardi Gras.
5. Last, enjoy a bottle of Abita Mardi Gras Bock with your other friends stuck in NY. This could become a fun tradition up here.