Friday, September 24, 2010

Jack's Pick: Matchbook Notepads by Buenahelena

Each Friday I select an item created by a member of the Rochester NY Etsy Street Team(RNEST). What criteria do I use? I look for great looking items that I think are well made offered for a great price!

Do you smoke? No. Neither do I. Did you play with old cigar boxes as a kid? For some reason I did. And I'm not a pyro, but matchbooks have always fascinated me as little miniature works of art. It was once a very common everyday item, which we don't see of much today as public smoking is banned in most places, and the lighter is now the tool of choice for most smokers. These vintage matchbooks have faded away, like the 8 Track Tape and the Polaroid camera.

Have no fear, Carol of Buenahelena is here reviving this old art form with a new twist, the Matchbook Notepad. Move aside 3M post-it notes. Step off mobile phone. Get old school cool with one, two, three, or even four of these little gem's. As an aside, I am super envious of that tricked-out cigar box she uses as a display....wicked.

I love all the different covers, and I can't wait to see the look on somone's face when I whip out one of these to write down a phone number or website! Priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that King Edward box is in MUCH better shape than mine is! I have one that used to live in my grandmother's attic and used to belong to my mother when she was a kid. The inside of the lid apparantly was the place of choice for testing out markers.
    I love cigar boxes. Don't have much love for cigars, but the boxes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got that box from Marie/MF Crafts. They housed a lot of the great matchbooks she sold me that are now notepads. I thought, why not use it as my display at markets?

    ReplyDelete